From firefighter through to founding and running a business as a mortgage broker- Nikki has always been about challenging the status quo.
Refusing to stay in her lane or in careers that don’t fulfill her, Nikki has built a career on disrupting markets and following her true passion.
Don’t tell Nikki it can’t be done without expecting her to show you how it can be.
Nikki is not your average broker. Having previously worked as a firefighter, she understands the challenges of earning respect in a male-dominated industry. Today, she stands as the proud owner and founder of Cherry Lending & Finance, a thriving mortgage brokerage firm located in Victoria. Her leadership is defined by exceptional customer service and determination.
Nikki is also the owner of Girls Just Want To Have Fun, a platform where she leverages her expertise from Cherry Lending & Finance to empower, educate, and inspire women towards financial freedom. Through mentorship programs and events, Nikki equips females with the necessary knowledge and tools to take control of their finances and achieve their goals.
In this episode, we speak to Nikki about:
- Breaking down barriers in the finance industry and overcoming misconceptions about women’s capabilities, particularly in male-dominated fields.
- Nikki’s unwavering dedication to helping individuals attain financial freedom, discover their forever homes, and make sound investment decisions.
- Emphasising the importance of enjoying work and not settling for a job that lacks personal fulfilment.
- Nikki’s commitment to empowering, educating, and inspiring women to achieve financial independence and take control of their financial futures.
- Insightful guidance on common errors people make when seeking home loans and how to navigate the process more effectively.
- An exploration of taking financial risks.
- The rewarding experience of starting and building a business, and the significance of celebrating milestones along the way.
- Practical tips and tricks for first-time homebuyers, as well as those looking to purchase additional properties or invest in real estate.
Key moments from the conversation:
02.10: Nikki talks about her transition from a firefighter to a mortgage broker.
- Despite once being a firefighter, she has always been interested in finance and project management. Never one to stay in a job if she doesn’t love it, she moved to finance after her involvement as a firefighter. While it was an amazing experience, finance has always been her passion and she wanted to stay true to that.
12.27: Nikki and Lauren talk about the behaviours in an industry that’s mostly male-led.
- Customer service is an integral part of her business, and that’s something that Nikki, as a female, feels is a strong point for her.
- The industry is not seen as approachable or kind, which is something Nikki wanted to change. She wanted the perception to shift. Finance is intimidating, especially for young people, which is why being approachable is so important.
19.36: When Nikki’s father passed away it opened her eyes up to how short life is.
- It’s all systems go. Nikki wants to do the things she really wants in life, so that she doesn’t get to the end and feel like she wasted her time.
- She has a good system in place now so that both herself and her husband are set up financially in life.
29.45: When it comes to successful client stories, Nikki has plenty. She shares the most meaningful one with us.
- Some of the biggest successes have come from single mothers who always assumed they couldn’t get a home loan. Helping them achieve their goals has been hugely rewarding for Nikki.
38.35 It’s rocket round time where we take a quick deep dive into Nikki’s life.
About your host:
Lauren Karan, Director and Founder of Karan & Co.
With over a decade of experience as a recruiter and development coach, Lauren Karan found that her priorities rapidly changed after the birth of her two children. In 2022 she founded Karan & Co flipping the out-dated recruitment model with a focus on retention through career coaching and development.
Lauren believes that If opportunity doesn’t knock, you have to build a door – and it’s this same philosophy that inspired her to create the Building Doors podcast. The Building Doors podcast is for anyone undergoing a transformation in their life. Regardless of whether you feel stuck in your current role, need some inspiration on what steps to take next, want to learn how to level up as a business owner or simply want to listen to the experiences of successful entrepreneurs and industry professionals, the Building Doors podcast is all about unlocking your potential.
Help someone else Build Doors in their career
💕 Subscribe and leave a 5-star rating on Apple Podcasts
🙏 Subscribe and leave a 5-star rating on Spotify
Get more help to Build Doors in your own life
🎬 Follow us on LinkedIn
📝 Building Doors newsletter: subscribe to that
Want to support the show?
1. Hit ‘Follow’.
2. Leave a 5-star rating.
3. Share this episode with a friend (this will help the podcast get discovered by more people so they can Build Doors in their lives too).
Thank you for your support! It truly means a lot. 💕
Time to stop waiting and start building…
In case you missed it:
You can listen to our previous episode here.
👋 To say hello, provide feedback, or express interest in a guest appearance on The Building Doors Podcast get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Produced By The Podcast Boss