Trevor Hall is an experienced executive in the infrastructure and construction industry, with over three decades of experience under his hard hat. He has led a wide range of projects in Australia, including roads, bridges, water facilities, rail, hospitals, correction facilities, tunnels, and energy projects. Trevor’s passion for developing amazing teams led him to start his own business, HC Energy. HC Energy is focused on renewable energy, a crucial market for Australia’s quality of life.
3:07 Trevor shares the pivotal moments in his career that lead him to where he is today:
- A 15-minute meeting with a construction company’s general manager changed his life and he secured his first job as a project manager.
- He always accepts challenges, even with little experience, like helping with the Clem7 tunnel or setting up NBN contracts.
7.52 Saying yes to opportunities is something Trevor believes strongly in:
- Trevor says that working in major cities can be attractive, but saying yes to remote projects can fast-track one’s career.
- After living in Queensland for eighteen years, Trevor moved to Melbourne to pursue his dream.
- Trevor highlights how successful leaders have faced major setbacks, yet they bounced back and achieved great success. He believes resilience is key to reaching the top.
14.40 Trevor talks about starting his own business and what dreams led him there:
- Coming from a family of builders, when he was seven, he dreamed of owning a building business and landing his helicopter on top of his building. He now runs his own business and is close to realising his childhood dream (well, maybe not the helicopter part).
- He pursues his passion because he loves it, not just as a job, and has always set his ambitions around doing what he loves.
21.30 Building the right team and creating a positive culture are important. Trevor tells us what he looks for when creating a team:
- Trevor believes it’s important to sit down, talk about values and then translate them into action. He says the real test of culture, however, is what happens when the pressure is on.
- At HC Energy, Trevor wants to create an environment where amazing people come together and deliver extraordinary things. He wants people to bring their whole selves to the table, not just their professional selves. And he wants them to have fun.
27.30 Lauren and Trevor discuss what happens when things don’t go according to plan.
- Trevor stresses the significance of tackling difficult challenges and stepping outside of one’s comfort zone, even if it fails. It’s about bouncing back and finding solutions with the help of a great team.
35.50 Trevor gives some wonderful advice to those who are just embarking on their construction industry.
- Network! We are only as good as our networks.
- Be open to opportunities and have your default answer as yes.
- Surround yourself with a diversity of people.
40.20 Lauren asks Trevor what his mentors have taught him.
- The advice from his mentor, Jeff, is one he has never forgotten: Life is a three-legged stool. It’s all about finding ways to balance your professional life, your personal life, and your family life.
You can connect with Trevor on LinkedIn
About your host:
Lauren Karan, Director and Founder of Karan & Co.
With over a decade of experience as a recruiter and development coach, Lauren Karan found that her priorities rapidly changed after the birth of her two children. In 2022 she founded Karan & Co flipping the out-dated recruitment model with a focus on retention through career coaching and development.
Lauren believes that If opportunity doesn’t knock, you have to build a door – and it’s this same philosophy that inspired her to create the Building Doors podcast.
The Building Doors podcast is for anyone undergoing a transformation in their life. Regardless of whether you feel stuck in your current role, need some inspiration on what steps to take next, want to learn how to level up as a business owner or simply want to listen to the experiences of successful entrepreneurs and industry professionals, the Building Doors podcast is all about unlocking your potential.
Help someone else Build Doors in their career
💕 Subscribe and leave a 5-star rating on Apple Podcasts
🙏 Subscribe and leave a 5-star rating on Spotify
Get more help to Build Doors in your own life
🎬 Follow us on LinkedIn
📝 Building Doors newsletter: subscribe to that
Want to support the show?
1. Hit ‘Follow’.
2. Leave a 5-star rating.
3. Share this episode with a friend (this will help the podcast get discovered by more people so they can Build Doors in their lives too).
Thank you for your support! It truly means a lot. 💕
Time to stop waiting and start building…
In case you missed it:
You can listen to our previous episode here.
👋 To say hello, provide feedback, or express interest in a guest appearance on The Building Doors Podcast get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.