Meet Byron Dempsey, the founder of the Driven Young Podcast, a platform that helps educate and inspire the younger generation around entrepreneurship and practical life skills.
2.30 Byron tells Lauren about his life journey and how he came to start his podcast:
- Byron’s self-perception as a “yes man” has led to numerous opportunities coming his way.
- He developed his passion for filmmaking at a young age, creating short films like lightsaber battles and gunfights with his siblings.
- Throughout high school, he was known as the go-to person for video-related tasks and even received recognition through Art Express.
- Through Gary Vaynerchuk, a well-known entrepreneur known for his content production, Byron delved into the world of entrepreneurship and learned about running a successful business.
- Inspired by his experience, Byron attended a podcast conference, prompting him to start the Driven Young Podcast in late 2019.
- Over time, the podcast grew into a full-fledged company and brand.
6.18 Lauren talks to Byron about what the Driven Young Podcast can do for young people:
- The Driven Young programme is designed to fit in with a young person 18 to 30, studying or working. It’s for people who want a community to not only build their social connections but also get online education.
9.12 Byron talks about the importance of having people around you:
- “Surround yourself with people whose eyes light up when you walk in the room,” is Byron’s favourite quote.
12.07 Lauren asks Byron what legacy he wants to leave behind:
- Byron’s vision is to establish programs and communities worldwide, fostering environments where young people can engage and support one another.
- Byron believes in the domino effect of change – if he can influence 1000 lives, they, in turn, can impact another 1000 lives, resulting in a significant ripple effect of positive change.
22.35 Byron talks about being grateful for the privilege we have in life, especially as Australians:
- Byron uses the human lottery as an example to highlight gratitude. He asks if you would willingly exchange your own life for someone else’s, considering the high probability of living in poverty. The chances of drawing a life as fortunate as your own are minimal, emphasising the importance of being grateful.
25.06 Byron and Lauren delve into various issues plaguing the current education system, including:
- Despite significant technological advancements in the past century, the education system has failed to keep pace. The content might have changed, but the way it is taught is the same.
- Subject choices are often driven by ranking and societal perception rather than personal interests and aspirations.
- Essential life skills such as financial literacy, money management, wise investments, and effective communication do not receive enough attention through education.
39.13 Byron says that success is the most dangerous word in the human dictionary:
- Byron’s perspective on success is that it should be based on personal happiness and fulfilment in one’s chosen path, rather than conforming to external definitions of success.
52.45 It’s rocket round time when Lauren gets to know a little more about Byron’s personal life. Wine or coffee? Which will he choose?
You can connect with Byron on LinkedIn
About your host:
Lauren Karan, Director and Founder of Karan & Co.
With over a decade of experience as a recruiter and development coach, Lauren Karan found that her priorities rapidly changed after the birth of her two children. In 2022 she founded Karan & Co flipping the out-dated recruitment model with a focus on retention through career coaching and development.
Lauren believes that If opportunity doesn’t knock, you have to build a door – and it’s this same philosophy that inspired her to create the Building Doors podcast. The Building Doors podcast is for anyone undergoing a transformation in their life. Regardless of whether you feel stuck in your current role, need some inspiration on what steps to take next, want to learn how to level up as a business owner or simply want to listen to the experiences of successful entrepreneurs and industry professionals, the Building Doors podcast is all about unlocking your potential.
Help someone else Build Doors in their career
💕 Subscribe and leave a 5-star rating on Apple Podcasts
🙏 Subscribe and leave a 5-star rating on Spotify
Get more help to Build Doors in your own life
🎬 Follow us on LinkedIn
📝 Building Doors newsletter: subscribe to that
Want to support the show?
1. Hit ‘Follow’.
2. Leave a 5-star rating.
3. Share this episode with a friend (this will help the podcast get discovered by more people so they can Build Doors in their lives too).
Thank you for your support! It truly means a lot. 💕
Time to stop waiting and start building…
In case you missed it:
You can listen to our previous episode here.
👋 To say hello, provide feedback, or express interest in a guest appearance on The Building Doors Podcast get in touch with us at email@example.com.
Produced By The Podcast Boss